Among the broad variety of attractions in Amsterdam, we can find landmarks that have identified this mecca from its start to the most intriguing assortment of oddities that make up the character of this extravagant metropolis.
In the midst of this large list of cultural and recreational sites, we can find those that define Amsterdamís character the best in the following description:
- Amsterdam Canal Ring, recently recognized as a World Heritage by the UNESCO, has accompanied this city since the 17th century. Although the canals were originally the only medium Dutch could build their homes in this muddy territory during the 14th century, the waterways ended up becoming an effective way to manage the waters, control the transport and trading market, and function as a defense mechanism.
- The Dam Square where it all started, located in the heart of the city, this square is placed where the dam that gave the name to the city originally stood on the 13th century, the Dam of Amstel River.
- Begijnhof is one of Amsterdamís top ten controversial attractions. These residential buildings of the 14th century were built to house a catholic sisterhood who lived like nuns despite not having taken the monastic vows, the beguines or in Dutch Beginjntjes.
- The Science Center NEMO is a science and technology museum in a state-of-the-art facility, is the largest in its kind in the Netherlands, and has the shape of a green ship moored on top a traffic tunnel. NEMO features an elevated square with the best view of Amsterdam on top.
- The once home to the Dutch Royal Family, the Koninklijk Palace (Royal Palace)
- The wax museum, Madam Tussauds.
- The Niewe Kerk (New church)
- Oude Kerk
- Magere Brug, Skinny bridge
- The Jordaan neighborhood
- The Rembrandtplein square
- Leidseplein square.
- The Red Light District.
- The Albert Cuyp market
- Artis ZOO
- Hortus Botanicus Ė the Botanical Garden
- Amsterdam windmills
Most Important attractions in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is also called the 'Venice of the North' for its more than one hundred kilometres of canals.
The Dam Square is the heart of Amsterdam, it has many amazing sights..
It is a neighborhood with beautiful gardens and old houses ...
NEMO is the largest science center in the Netherlands ...